Buying for export
We regularly sell used machines into the European Union and sometimes beyond. There are a number of factors you need to be aware of if you live outside of the UK. The point below will give you some idea of the processes involved, but feel free to phone us on +44 1745 822922 or email your enquiry to us.
Unless otherwise arranged, motorcycles we retail for export are UK specification, that means:
- Headlight will dip to the left.
- Speedo will generally be calibrated in MPH (digital displays can sometimes be converted to read KMH).
- Engine tune will generally be UK standard (i.e not restricted).
- Certificates of Conformity can be supplied on request, there is a charge for this.
- For overseas customers the preferable method of payment we accept is a direct transfer of funds into our bank account. We will supply those details on request. You can also pay in UK Sterling on the day of collection, provided you have transferred a cleared deposit into our bank account beforehand.
- The motorcycle will only be released for collection once the funds have cleared into our bank account.
- VAT is generally payable in the United Kingdom for any machine that is purchased by a customer who lives outside the UK, but within the European Union. There can be exceptions (i.e. members of UK Armed Forces working abroad, certain trade customers or overseas companies with a VAT registration number etc), please contact us with any queries.
- VAT is not generally payable in the United Kingdom for any machine that is purchased by a customer who lives outside of the European Union. Please contact us with any queries.
You are very welcome to collect your machine in person, we are easily accessible via road and rail (2.5 hours from London by train), and Liverpool & Manchester airports are just over an hour away (see our contact pages for more details). We are also glad to assist you in arranging local accomodation to make your purchase a more relaxing experience!
- If you wish to ride your machine away you must advise us in advance so we can ensure the vehicle has a valid MOT (UK Ministry of Transport Test certificate) and UK Road Tax (which is chargeable). You must arrange your own insurance, and you must present your valid driving license, passport and proof of insurance to us before you ride away.
- Many of our overseas customers have their machine collected by a third party courier or indeed take it away themselves in a van/trailer, either option is fine provided we are aware of the arrangement in advance.
- We can crate your bike for collection if necessary, please ask for a quote when you contact us.
- Machines still within the manufacturer warranty period (typically 2 years from date of registration), can have any warranty work that may be needed after purchase carried out by your appropriate local dealer for that brand in any country.
- Machines outside of manufacturer's warranty generally have a 3 months warranty from Woods Motorcycles. This is not transferrable, so to make use of it, you would need to return the machine to us (at your cost) to have any work carried out. We will not sanction any work at any other dealers.
If you have any questions that aren't covered here, or would just like to chat about your options please phone us on +44 1745 822922 during our opening hours.